Marisa Hoicka is an artist working in painting, performance art, fibres, installation and video. Often her shows combine these different interests.
Her video work can be rented or acquired through VTAPE, 401 Richmond Street West, Suite 452, Toronto, 416.351.1317
- More Than Just Queer, SFMOMA, San Francisco
- Meet Me Half Way, Heritage Canada, Art in Office, Toronto (Solo)
- Nature Morte, Le Labo, Toronto (Solo)
- Escaping Escapism, Powerball: Quarter-Life Crisis, Power Plant, Toronto
- Videodrome, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art with dropFRAME video and Apocalypse Tomorrow, Toronto (juried)
- Search, (Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever) Nuit Blanche, Toronto (juried)
- Search, (Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever) gallerywest, Toronto (juried)
- Trust My Gut, (Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever) Rhubarb Festival, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto (juried)
- Artist in residence, (performance art) at the Etobicoke School of the Arts with funding from the Ontario Arts Council.
- Artist Talk at Ontario College of Art and Design University.
- Mortal Coils, (Touring Exhibition) Shudder Gallery, Vancouver; Drop Out Video Arts, Vancouver; Videofag, Toronto
- K-Town, Galerie Trois Points, Montreal (juried)
- The Other Painting Competition, Art Gallery of Ontario and Nuit Blanche, Toronto
- Trust My Gut (Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever) in Extra-Rational, FADO’s Emerging Artist Series, XPACE Cultural Centre, Toronto. (juried)
- Trust My Gut (Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever) Feminist Art Gallery and upArt Contemporary Art Fair, Gladstone, Toronto. -Funding from Peaches (Merrill Nisker) and the Haliburton School of Arts.
- Oh, Grow Up Already, The White House Studio Project, Toronto (Solo)
- Eat Sleep Breathe and Shit, VSVSVS, Toronto (juried)
- Your Next Life, The White House Studio Project, Toronto (juried)
- Open House, The White House Studio Project, Toronto
- Bend Grind (Marisa Hoicka & Monique Mathieu) performance/dance research creation and show at Eastern Bloc, Montreal
- Soirée Performance, Gallerie l’Art Passe à l’Est, Montreal
- Ghost Hole II, The White House Studio Project at Double Double Land, Toronto (juried)
- Performance with Monique Mathieu, Cabaret Faux-Pas, House of Faux-Pas, Montreal
- Nespi … N’est-ce pas? (Special Guest with Dukes of Drag), Sala Rosa, Montreal
- Hey Come Inside, Project 165, Toronto
- Control Desire (Marisa Hoicka & Monique Mathieu), included an artist’s talk. VAV Gallery, Montreal (juried)
- Indecent Exposure, Art Matters Festival, Artifacto, Montreal (juried)
- Reprise au coton/Darn, Fibres Undergraduate Show, Diagonale Gallery, Montreal (juried)
- The Future/The End, Nuit Blanche/Art Matters Festival, Les Territoires Gallery, Montreal
- Performance at Fatigue Magazine Launch Party, Cagibi, Montreal
- “Fresh Paint,” Art Mur Gallery, Montreal (juried)
- Semi-finalist – Academy of Art Video Art Award for Performance
- FASA – grant for personal performance project
- Actio 2008, Eastern Bloc, Montreal (juried)
- Art Matters, Eastern Bloc, Montreal (juried)
- Absent Dreams, Eastern Bloc, Montreal
- Radio interview with Isabelle Gobeil, Champs Libre, Radio Canada CBC, Dec 4, 2012.
- Interview with Guillaume Garcia from L’Express, Dec 4, 2012.
- Radio interview with Guillaume Touzel-Bond on CHOQ-FM, Dec 4, 2012.
- ”…a rising star…” wrote Paul Aguirre-Livingston from the Grid, June 15, 2012.
- iNews on iChannel at Powerball at the Power Plant, June 15, 2012.
- Marisa Hoicka & Johnny Forever made curator Jon Davies top 10 list for art in Toronto in 2011.
2009 Bachelor of Fine Arts (with distinction) –Studio Arts, Concordia University, Montreal
Fluent in French and English, both spoken and written.